May 22, 2012

My garden

I thought I would share pictures of my garden today, since we recently made it bigger. Here are before pics:



And here are after pics:



In the first photos you can see Brussels sprouts, which didn't end up forming until winter for some reason, tomato plants, rosemary and basil, although we also had oregano, strawberry plants, leeks, cabbage, eggplant, onions and peppers. This year we tore up the yard to make the garden go around the deck so that we could plant more tomato plants, Swiss chard, kale, two kinds of lettuce, cilantro, sage, purple and green basil, and some marigolds to keep the bugs away (although the moles are still here). I also plant some flowers around the house every year. This year I bought lavender so that I can try some recipes that call for it, some catmint to make essential oil and lip scrub out of, some primroses, dianthus, and carnations.

Now, last year was out first attempt at a garden so I am still a novice at gardening, but I can tell you the tomato plants came in real handy for making my own sauce, and the herbs were nice to add to dishes like my mom's Italian mozarella and tomato salad. Now that I've been adding Swiss chard to my pasta dishes, that will be nice, as well as kale, which I can make kale chips out of. I got those last two plants from the local farmer's market.

Anyway, taking care of a garden is really not that hard, you just have to water it every night (not during the day, or the plant will kind of burn) especially when the plants are still little. Trim the weeds, plant everything about a foot apart, sometimes more, then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment