September 5, 2012

What supplements do I take?


Supplements are, as a rule, an addition to a healthy lifestyle. They are intended to give you what you do not get enough of, or in some cases, cannot get. I take B12, probiotics and Omega 3.6.9 supplements now that I don't eat animal products, D3 since I don't go outside often (and especially during the winter), and a multivitamin and calcium-magnesium mix that isn't included in the multivitamin, and chlorella and/or chlorophyll supplements because the quality of fruits and veggies is not spectacular nowadays. That's seven different supplements, and I'm adding astaxanthin soon. (I also take bio plasma every once in a while out of curiosity, and echinacea when I'm sick.)


I use this as a general rule: Dr. Oz's Supplement Guide
The brands I use are Vitacost Synergy Once-Daily multivitamin, Vitacost Yaeyama Chlorella, Vitacost Ultra Calcium-Magnesium, and Vitacost vegetarian Omega 3.6.9. (Vitacost is just so easy for me to use, as they have my rice brand, Lotus Foods, my bean brand, Eden Foods, and several other awesome products.) I chose my multivitamin because it has no calcium and magnesium, giving me the option to take that separately, and it has coQ10, ALA, B12 and Quercetin. It also has at least 100% the daily value needed for each vitamin or mineral, but no excessive amounts of any.

However, other than the few things I don't have a taste for (peaches, pistachios, limes, apricots, and ginger to name most) I eat healthier than anyone I know personally. I just don't eat all those good things when I'm supposed to, and those things may not always be organic or fresh. Smoothies are juices are one way to try to get enough vitamins and minerals, but I, like most people, don't make them regularly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment