April 7, 2012

Fiber 1 Cereal

**update** Please take the following with a grain of salt, as aspartame is actually really bad for you, and there are healthier cereals available, so do your research.

Now, as I've said, I'm not a nutritionist, and I can barely read a nutrition label, so I'm not 100% sure that Fiber One cereal is good for you (because I know a lot of other cereals that claim to be healthy are not, and I know Fiber One puts aspartame in their cereal). However, it really does give you a good amount of fiber, 14g per 1/2 cup, to be exact. So I believe it's one of the best options out there for cereal, other than bran. The good part is that you can use it in a wide range of recipes, even making breaded eggplant or chicken with it. I've been eating it since high school and it has helped with my irritable bowel disease, which could actually be inflammatory bowel disease.

** I encourage you to read your cereal labels and look specifically for the ingredient called aspartame, or sugar. If you've found one without either, you've probably struck gold.

At first I didn't really like Hungry Girl, where I heard about Fiber One breaded chicken, but I signed up for the email newsletter anyway, and I actually have learned a lot. I heard about tofu shirataki noodles from her, and learned that popcorn has more antioxidants than some fruits and veggies. More recently, she wrote about a major study that had just been completed on red meat eaters, finding that even a single serving of red meat per day could increase the risk of death by 15%. Here's the study, in case you want to know more: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/2012-releases/red-meat-cardiovascular-cancer-mortality.html

No comments:

Post a Comment