April 5, 2012

21-Day Vegan Kickstart

I don't intend to become fully vegan (just vegetarian) but I am already loving this 21-Day Vegan Kickstart, and it's only day 3! They got me hooked on two different levels: one, Alicia Silverstone was the first "spokesperson," so to say, and there's more celebrities/health nuts lined up; two, I already love the recipes - baked chickpeas, fettucine with asparagus.

I browsed the website and found some gems to share with you. Maggie Q, famous actress that I love watching, said she eats kale every day and loves to add rice, lentils and beans to keep her full. She also mentioned something I've been dying to try - dairy free ice cream, made with things like cashews, coconut and green tea. And, I didn't know this, but she also worked on a documentary called Earthlings, which is about the daily practices of animals-for-profit industries. That seems interesting, and I can't wait to watch it.

Rory Freedman, author of Skinny Bitch, says "Never feel like or say you are “giving up” your favorite foods. Those words have a negative connotation, like you are sacrificing something. You’re not giving up anything. You are simply empowering yourself to make educated, controlled choices about what you will and won’t put into your body, your temple."

Also on the website, Olympic skater Meagan Duhamel says, "Don’t be afraid to change! It’s not as difficult as it sounds. Transitioning to a healthy plant-based diet is easy and impacts every other aspect of your life. I made the change instantaneously and now feel strong, vibrant, and healthy. You can choose to stop at McDonald’s for a burger and milkshake or opt for a spinach salad filled with fresh vegetables and a fruit smoothie. Choose wisely." She also suggests soaking up as much info as possible about being vegan or vegetarian or nutrition in general.

Kris Carr is also part of this, and if you know me, you know I love her. She is the reason I even became interested in getting healthy. She strongly suggests removing meat and dairy, juicing daily, and drastically cutting the amount of sugar you eat.

It's funny because a lot of people tell me sugar and meat and whatnot aren't THAT bad for you. However, when I was at my mom's house this weekend, just as dinner was being finished up, my dad had such a strong craving for meat and salt that he started going through every cupboard in the kitchen like he was starving, looking for meat and chips. Over the weekend he went through two or three bags of chips and who knows how much meat, always wanting more. So, yeah, I firmly believe that meat, sugar and salt are highly addictive. My husband even went through withdrawal symptoms when he quit drinking pop.

Here's one last comment from Dr. Dean Ornish: "Eat plant-based foods. It will make you feel better. It also does less violence, helps reduce global warming, and frees more land to grow food for those who most need it. It’s the healthiest way to eat—both for you and for Earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment