April 11, 2012

Adoption Day

Did you know that last year in Michigan 118,000 cats and dogs were euthanized because they didn't have a home? It would take every home in America to own 67 cats in order for them to stop being euthanized (temporarily). I know not everyone cares. I know. But I care, and I want to do my best to educate people about the situation of animals in America, whether it be livestock or homeless pets. I want to try my hardest to make people care, to take action.

Everyone I meet has that attitude "Yeah, pets get put down. You can't save them all. That's just what happens." But I look at it a different way. Last summer I took about 17 cats from a single neighborhood (and there's still more) to the shelter I volunteer at to be fixed. If half of them were female, that would mean I prevented at least 8 of them from having a litter of kittens (say anywhere from three to six kittens), or two litters, or three litters, and their kittens, and their kittens. I'm not good at math, but that could be around 29 kittens I prevented, in one summer, from being born, and those kittens could have turned around and gave birth to over a hundred more kittens. So, whatever, about 129 kittens were spared from entering the shelter and possibly being euthanized. Again, in one summer. You could do that too.

Here's today's adoptees, from the Ionia County Humane Society in Michigan. I really like this shelter, because on Petfinder.com they will actually list which animals are "urgent." In case you couldn't figure it out, urgent = going to be put down very soon, as space is limited.

This is Frisket, a female dilute tortie on the urgent list.


This is Eleanor, a regular tortie female, also on the urgent list.


This is their other kitty on the urgent list, Leona.


Also, I myself have a cat ready for adoption. She came from a bad situation, and really needs a new home. Please leave a comment if you are interested.

As for dogs, if you are in West Michigan you might have heard about the hoarding/puppy mill case in Allegan in which hundreds of mistreated dogs were taken from a home. On the news they said the shelter was looking for help with fostering some of these dogs. Here is their link: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI299.html

I cannot begin to tell you how great it is to own a pet. It is a great responsibility, but so wonderful to have someone to come home to that doesn't do anything but love you unconditionally. I know people don't like this comparison, but having a cat or dog really is like having a baby. Preparing for them, the excitement, the responsibility, the love. My cats truly are my babies. I can't imagine life without them. If you have not had a cat or dog, you're missing out on one of life's greatest bonding experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment